Mutual funds were introduced in Canada in 1932, providing investors with an easy way to diversify their savings in stocks, bonds and other securities without having to be experts. Today, over half of Canadians invest in mutual funds, and they do so for the very same reasons they did when funds were introduced: convenience, security, affordability, diversification and expert management.
Here is a closer look at what you get from a mutual fund investment:
- Access to investment opportunities around the world that are researched, purchased for the fund and monitored by knowledgeable investment professionals within a well-regulated environment.
- Proven investment management expertise from world-class professionals supported by a disciplined approach to investing.
- Performance potential, as professional managers work on your behalf to beat their benchmarks’ returns over the long term.
- Cost efficiencies that allow you to invest in a sophisticated range of domestic and foreign securities and markets, easily and affordably. It would be extremely costly, time-consuming and, in some cases, impossible for you to access a similar portfolio of investments on a stand alone basis.
- Flexibility in offering relatively low initial or monthly purchase amounts.
- Liquidity that allows you to readily redeem your shares at current prices (plus any fees and charges payable upon redemptions) at any time.
- Technology to provide you with timely, accurate reporting on your investments.